Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Little Trick to Try

so here is a little trick to try .... i wish i could claim it as my own, but i can't.  it's with thanks to the guys at River Cottage that i'm giving this a go.

i am TIRED OF BUYING bamboo sticks to make trellis's from.  so .... ala Hugh from River Cottage i have planted my pea's at the base of branch that has come off of one of our tree's that we are clearing.  provides a natural trellis for my snow pea's to climb up .... and the cost to me:  nada!  can't get much more simplistic and straight forward than that!  and in case you doubt me <g>  here is my little pea corner of my front veggie patch!



and to keep matters simple, i have dug up the bed as little as possible .... piled the straw and manure from today's clean out of the chook pen around it.  all done and dusted within about 15 minutes .... let's see how it goes!  i promise to keep you posted on the results. 

oh, and in case you haven't checked out the guys from River Cottage .... you really should!  http://www.rivercottage.net/ ..... the guy's name is Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.  he started on a third of an acre with pigs, chooks and a veggie patch .... determined to live a simple and self-sustaining lifestyle ..... i love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment